Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Own Liquid Laundry Detergent

I finally broke down and did it.  I made my own detergent using Recipe #1 from the frugal shopper.  After analysis of the ingredients, time, and the kicker, money saved.  I decided it was time.  The article that really swayed me was an article from The Simple Dollar.

The author broke down all the costs and what his savings would be.  He also tested his detergent against Tide with bleach alternative.  My costs were more because I purchased one bar of Fels Naptha soap @ $2.39 (but use only 1/3 of it).  Also, I had to drive to 2 store to find the materials.  If you are in McKinney, save yourself the trouble and go to the Kroger on 380.  I have only used it on one load but the kids have said it smells good to them and thought it was cool I was making a mess in Dad's kitchen.   After cooling, the mixture is glutinous and slime-like and a light chartreusy yellow.

I have decided to buy a laundry soap dispenser from The Container Store to store it in.  I may need 2.  It made more than I anticipated.

I have not tested it on my hand-washables.  I was interested to know if anyone had tested it on wool or their hand-knit items.


No comments:

Post a Comment